In less than two weeks Michigan voters will go to the polls and decide on legal marijuana. Less than ten years ago Michigan voters overwhelmingly approved medical marijuana. So we’ll see what happens this November 6.
What Are We Voting on Exactly?
Here is the language that you will see on the ballot when you go to vote:
A proposed initiated law to authorize and legalize possession, use and cultivation of marijuana products by individuals who are at least 21 years of age and older, and commercial sales of marijuana through state-licensed retailers
This proposal would:
- Allow individuals 21 and older to purchase, possess and use marijuana and marijuana-infused edibles, and grow up to 12 marijuana plants for personal consumption.
- Impose a 10-ounce limit for marijuana kept at residences and require amounts over 2.5 ounces to be secured in locked containers.
- Create a state licensing system for marijuana businesses and allow municipalities to ban or restrict them.
- Permit retail sales of marijuana and edibles subject to a 10% excise tax, dedicated to implementation costs, clinical trials, schools, roads, and municipalities where marijuana businesses are located.
- Change several current violations from crimes to civil infractions.
Should this proposal be adopted?
[ ] YES
[ ] NO
The Future of Marijuana in Michigan
If this proposal passes, Michigan will have three separate legal schemes for marijuana. We have the traditional caregiver-patient model set out in the original medical marijuana law. Second, there’s the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act. And this form of legal recreational marijuana would be the third regulatory scheme. This new law would not supersede the previous two laws. Rather, it would add another regulatory layer on top of it. Confusing for most people, perhaps one day it will all be merged into one scheme.
Call us at 734.883.9584
Call Sam Bernstein at 734.883.9584 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sam Bernstein is a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
ArborYpsi Law is located at 4158 Washtenaw Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48108.